William Robert Volk, M.D., FAAOS
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Sports Medicine Specialist
Dr. Volk is a board-certified, fellowship-trained Orthopedic Surgeon with extensive training and experience in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery. Dr. Volk completed his medical degree and residency at The George Washington University in Washington, DC. He completed fellowship training in Orthopedic Sports Medicine at The UHZ Sports Medicine Institute in Coral Gables, FL, where he served as a Team Physician for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL), the Miami Dolphins (NFL), the Florida Panthers (NHL), and the Florida International University (NCAA Div-1).
Dr. Volk joined Potomac Valley Orthopedic Associates in 2020, after completing seven years of military service as an Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgeon for the U.S. Navy. He most recently served at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) where he held the academic positions of Associate Director for the WRNMMC Orthopedic Surgery residency program, Assistant Professor of Surgery at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, and Orthopedic Consultant for The Office of The Attending Physician, treating several members of Congress.
Dr. Volk’s clinical interests include injuries of the shoulder, hip, and knee with a special interest in complex hip preservation surgery, including arthroscopic labral repair and reconstruction; shoulder replacements, shoulder instability, and rotator cuff procedures; and knee ligament and cartilage reconstruction.
Dr. Volk, his wife, and four sons live in Bethesda, Maryland. In his spare time, Dr. Volk enjoys golf, skiing, and traveling.
Know More to download William Robert Volk, M.D. CV
- Fellowship, Orthopedic Sports Medicine, 8/2012-8/2013. UHZ Sports Medicine Institute. Coral Gables, FL. Program Director: John Uribe, MD
- Residency and Internship, Orthopedic Surgery, 7/2007-7/2012. The George Washington University. Washington, DC. Program Director: Robert Neviaser, MD
- Doctor of Medicine, 8/2003-5/2007. The George Washington University School of Medicine. Washington, DC. Bachelor of Arts, Kinesiology and Applied Physiology. Minor in Biochemistry. 8/1996-5/2001. The University of Colorado. Boulder, CO.
- The American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons- Step 1 (7/2013), Step 2 (8/2015)
- Subspecialty Certificate In Orthopedic Sports Medicine- (10/2016)
- Unrestricted Medical License, Washington
- Unrestricted Medical License, Maryland
8/2020-Current Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics- Potomac Valley Olney, MD
Staff Surgeon, Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgeon focusing on Shoulder, Hip and Knee Surgery
3/2015-Current Volk Orthopaedics, a sole proprietorship. Bethesda, MD
Owner and Staff OrthopedicSurgeon
- Independent Contractor with Objective Medical Assessments Company (OMAC) providing Independent Medical Examinations, independent medical record review and medical expert services
- Independent Contractor for Weatherby Healthcare providing nationwide Locum Tenens Orthopedic coverage.
- Independent Contractor with The Standard providing independent medical record review for disability claims
8/2016-8/2020 Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Bethesda, MD
Associate Program Director, National Capital Region Orthopedic Surgery Residency
Staff Surgeon, OrthopedicSports Medicine and Shoulder Service
- Attending OrthopedicSports Medicine surgeon
- Assistant Professor, Uniformed Service Health Sciences University School of Medicine.
8/2013-8/2016 Naval Hospital Lemoore, CA
Director of Surgical Services and Chief of Orthopedic Surgery;
Staff Orthopedicand Sports Medicine Surgeon
- Oversight of 58 staff, $850K annual budget and $3M worth of equipment across five departments.
- Chief of Orthopedic Surgery for Master Jet Base, Naval Air Station Lemoore
Medical Director for Emergency Medical Services
- Responsible for oversight, training, protocols and procedures for 40 emergency medical personnel aboard Naval Air Station Lemoore and Naval Air Station Fallon
8/2012-8/2013. UHZ Sports Medicine Institute Coral Gables, FL
Fellow, OrthopedicSports Medicine
- Team Physician, Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL team
- Team Physician, Miami Dolphins NFL team
- Team Physician, Florida Panthers NHL team
- Team Physician, Florida International University Athletics (NCAA-Div 1)
- Team Physician, Miami-Dade Public High Schools
- Instructor, Florida International University School of Medicine
7/2007 – 7/2012. The George Washington University Washington, DC
Resident Physician, Orthopedic Surgery
- Team coverage for Washington DC public schools HS football
- Commander, MC, USN. Active Duty 8/2013-8/2020 (resigned).
- Commissioned August 2003, promoted May 2007, July 2013, Sept 2019
- Deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Inherent Resolve, 2017
- Deployed to Oman in support of Operation Native Fury, 2016
- Military awards: Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal x 2, Navy Unit Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Operation Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, “Sharpshooter” Marksmanship Medal
- Fernicola, MD; Tannehill, IJ; Tucker, CJ; Volk, WR; Dickens, JF. The Pericapsular Nerve Group Block for Perioperative Pain Management for Hip Arthroscopy. Arthroscopy Techniques. 10(7):e1799-e1803. 2021.
- Tenan, MS; … Volk, WR; et al. Generating the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons Score Using Multivariable Predicitive Models and Computer Adaptive Testing to Reduce Survey Burden. Am J Sports Med. 49(3):764-772. 2021.
- Mauntel, TC; … Volk, WR; et al. The Military Orthopedics Tracking Injuries and Outcomes Network: A Solution for Improving Musculoskeletal Care in the Military Health System. Military Medicine. Usaa304. 2020.
- Overman, AL; Colantonio, DF; Wheatley, BM; Volk, WR; Kilcoyne, KG; Dickens, JF. Incidence and Characteristics of Humeral Shaft Fractures After Subpectoral Biceps Tenodesis. Orthop J Sports Med. 28;7(3) 2019.
- Volk, WR; Yagnik, GP; Uribe, JW. Complications In Brief: Quadriceps and patellar tendon tears. Clin Orthop Relat Res.472(3): 1050-7. 2014
- Matteini, LE; Kebaish, KM; Volk, WR; Bergin, PF; Yu, WD; O’Brien, JR. An S2 Alar Iliac Pelvic Fixation: A Technical Note Neurosurgical Focus 28(3): E13, 2010
- Volk, WR, Zvijac, JE. Repair of the Distal Semitendinosus and Gracilis in an Olympic Sprinter. Case Report and Review of the Literature. In Publication: Current OrthopedicPractice.
- Hechtman, KS; Volk, WR, et al. Effectiveness of Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Assess the Integrity of Distal Biceps Tendon Repair During the First Year Postoperatively. Submitted to American Journal Sports Medicine.
- Orthopaedics for the Generalist and Top 10 Pitfalls. Provider Off-site conference; Naval Hospital PAX River. April, 2018 and October, 2018
- Combat Orthopaedics and Blast Injuries. Medical Lecture Series; Operation Inherent Resolve. April, 2017. Al Qayyarah West, Iraq
- Combat Orthopaedics and Blast Injuries. Medical Lecture Series; Operation Native Fury. January 20, 2016 Duqm, Oman.
- Effectiveness of Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Assess the Integrity of Distal Biceps Tendon Repair During the First Year Postoperatively. Podium Presentation; Florida OrthopedicSociety Meeting 6/1/2013. Key Largo, FL.
- Management of Articular Cartilage Injuries. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. May, 2012 Washington, DC
- Management of Distal Biceps Ruptures. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. April, 2012 Washington, DC
- Multiligament Knee Injuries: Current Management. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. March, 2012 Washington, DC
- Instability of the Patella. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. January, 2012 Washington, DC
- Fractures of the Tibial Plateau. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. December, 2011 Washington, DC
- Arthroscopic Management of Hip Pathologies. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. November, 2011 Washington, DC
- The Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: A Review and Current Management. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. October, 2011 Washington, DC
- Syndesmosis Injuries and Management. Orthopedic Grand Rounds; The George Washington University. September, 2011 Washington, DC